Javan Rhino Observation Tour is a special interest tour package is organized by Ujung Kulon Eco-Tour and supported by Ujung Kulon National Park . Rhinoceros Sondaicus or Javan Rhino is the rarest mammal on earth, and this species has been classified as Critically endangered by IUCN.
- During May to August 2024 this special tour package is fully booked
- We have adjusted the itinerary for this tour package due to the temporary closure of the tourist route on the Ujung Kulon peninsula.
There are only around 75 Javan Rhinoceros left, and there are none in zoos or captive facilities, therefore the only possible means to observe Javan rhinoceros is through direct observation in the natural habitat.
This particular Javan Rhino Observation Tour heads to the far western tip of Java, Indonesia and the forested park of Ujung Kulon. This is the last home of the critically endangered Javan Rhino, which is the rarest large mammal anywhere in the world.
The park is very dense and we will hike from the entrance to a little known river deep inside the park. The Javan Rhinos are mostly seen in this river and so most of the wildlife activities will be canoeing silently up and down this river in the early morning and late evening. We head into the park with a team of porters and spend the entire time camping in the forest.
Throughout the trip you will be guided by local park rangers and a zoologist guide (where available), and people with an intimate knowledge of the wildlife and habitats you will be visiting.
This is a ground breaking tour that is unique in the world, we have negotiated special rates for the scientific permits that are needed to access the core area of the forest.
For anyone who wants a chance of seeing this incredibly rare species you have to get in touch with us and we can provide more information about our Javan Rhino Observation tour.
Day 1: Jakarta – Marina Carita – Cigenter Savannah (B,L,D)
You will be picked up at 5 am at hotel where you stay in Jakarta, then we drive to the coastal town of Carita by a private vehicle, arrival at Carita, then breakfast and coffee break will be served at the local restaurant.
After breakfast, we cruise to Cigenter River by speed boat where you will set up camp at the savannah near the river. As arrive at Cigenter, our team are to set up the camping equipment.
In the afternoon around 4 PM, we focus to Javan Rhino where we will do canoeing trips up the Cigenter River are somewhat affected by tides and trees across the river. If conditions are right the canoes can travel deep into the forest.
Days 2-9: Javan Rhino Observation at Cigenter River (B,L,D)
For the next 8 full days we will explore the forest as we search for the Javan rhinos, we will rise early each morning as we aim to find a rhino as they use the river to bath and browse on the semi aquatic vegetation. In the past this has been one of the most fruitful ways to find and see the rhino.
So by using a couple of canoes we will silently paddle up and down stretches of the Cigenter River for a while in the hope that we see one.
We will come back to the camp for breakfast and then plan the next course of action, we will probably look to cruise the rivers at dawn and dusk and also have the opportunity to set up hides overlooking some of the wallows that the rhinos like to use.
This is an option for anyone wishing to do this and of course we can hike around and try and find fresh evidence of the rhinos as they move through the forest.
As mentioned this is just an overview of what is possible and the exact day by day plan will change and be discussed and dictated by the rhino’s movements.
Alongside the rhinos there are many other species in the park, like all tropical forests there are many species of birds, reptiles and amphibians.
Mammal wise there are Javan gibbons and ebony lutungs (both endemic to Java) in the trees, various squirrels around, Javan small-toothed palm civets, bantengs and even leopards in the park.
However the leopards have a near mythical status here and the rhinos are seen a lot more often. It is also worth keeping an eye out in the rivers and sea as there are salt-water crocodiles here and so be careful when near the river banks and keep your hands and feet inside the canoe at all times.
We will return to the camp for our meals and of course our tents for each night. We estimate that hiking per day will be around 2-3 hours, however some days maybe longer (~6 hours) and others much shorter.
At the 9th day, our boat is to bring you to Cidaon Savannah near Peucang Island for wildlife watching (All of your meals will be prepared and eaten at the camp in between our excursions into the forest.)
Day 10 : Cidaon – Peucang Island – Carita – Jakarta Hotel (B,L)
Whilst the expedition officially ends today when we reach Jakarta and people can book their return flights home for the evening on this day, we recommend that people do not and instead book their return flights home for tomorrow.
This is because of any possible delays we can suffer in having to use the wooden boat and a vehicle for 1 and 5 hours respectively. Of course if you book your flights for today you will be taken to the airport after we reach Jakarta and if you book your flights for the next day, we will take you to the hotel you have booked for yourself.
Please note that the itinerary stated above is correct as our planned intentions for the tour. However adverse weather conditions and other local considerations can necessitate some modifications of the itinerary during the course of the tour; any changes will be made to make the best of the time and weather conditions available to us.
This tour is available on different date (subject to availability) please contact us for more details about running this tour on a date which suits you more.
What to bring
- We recommend you bring along your own binoculars as well as appropriate clothing; which should be both light and durable walking clothes as well as a water proof coat.
- Broken in and comfortable, waterproof walking boots are essential.
- Any medication, books or other items of a personal nature is of course up to you to bring along.
- Please bring plenty of memory cards or film for your camera.
- Waterproof (beach) shoes are also very useful.
- Good torches and many spare batteries are also needed on this trip.
- You also need to bring your own sleeping bag or sleep liner and sleeping mat.
Price: US $ 5.000 / person
- Pick up service at the hotel in Jakarta at 5am
- Drop of back to the hotel in Jakarta
- 9 nights Camp
- Daily meals
- Daily mineral water
- Snacks & fruits
- English speaking guide
- Specialist ranger from the national park
- Local guide
- The porters
- Canoeing equipment
- Daily entry permit
- SIMAKSI ( a special permit for special interest)
- Camping gears, one tent each : sleeping bag, pillow, mattress,
- Coffee, tea, and milk
- Daily logistic
- Cooking equipments
- Boating to the island
- Rubber boat (without machine)
- Nearly everything is included in this tour. The only things not included are international flights, travel insurance.
- Any food bought outside of the three main meals, drinks outside of any offered with the meals and the bottled water provided each day and any items of a personal nature such as souvenirs and tips.
- Any applicable departure taxes and not included (but maybe included in the cost of your flights). Please check before departure.
- During camping everything you need will be included except for sleeping bags or sheets and some people like to bring a small fold away chair / stool.
This Javan Rhino Observation Tour will be conducted in the forest; therefore, outdoor equipment for overnight rest/ sleeping will be provided. Depending on the location, tours can be done with canoe or stay on observation tree house.
For further information and reservation of Javan Rhino Observation Tour, please feel free to Contact Us